Thursday 2 January 2014

From sale sedation to Mulberry's menagerie

January sales, love them or hate them they're pretty hard to resist. From Christmas eve if not before the shops are filled with bright red sale signs and the shoppers seem to take on a whole new characteristic, fighting among the rails for a bargain!

I love a good bargain as much as the next person but this year, as I sit in the library revising for two horrible exams I'm feeling incredibly uninspired to shop. I did Westfield before Christmas; we were there for 8 hours, it was a pretty good stint, but there was nothing I wanted. And I really do mean nothing, apart from most of the Zara stock of course but thats a given! Nothing stood out. Bad fabrics, poor cuts and overpriced pieces for the designs and everything in all of the shops I visited was the same as the last. This winter for me has been all about the long suede boots, a few days of Chelsea's and big oversized knits and not a lot of other statement pieces.

So, in the time when my bank card would usually be bearing the brunt of my severe lack of revision, when the bloggers are all posting their 'best of the sales' posts and when everyone else is still getting over the New Years hangovers, I'm incredibly pleased to have spotted the new Mulberry campaign this morning. Fronted by the babe that is Cara and shot by Tim Walker the Alice in Wonderland-esque shoot is quaintly British in style, and the location is the same mansion that was used in the A/W campaign. I'm swooning! The name is iconic, the products are sexy and cool and its one of those brands that everyone needs a little bit of in their wardrobe. The flowers only serve to uplift the drear that we've felt over the last couple of months with the saturation, and lack of inspiration, on our British high street.

The art director Cooke Newhouse comments: 'The spring 2014 campaign was a beautiful but naughty tea party with Cara and her ark of animals — the perfect Mulberry moment. They didn’t have the best table manners, but Cara was very forgiving.'

The campaign gives hope that Spring, and a bit of a revamp of the high street, may finally be on the way!




No comments:

Post a Comment