Monday 6 January 2014

Cooking… A beetroot love story

Beetroot and I have never been friends. My whole family love it but I just have never been a fan. I'm not sure if its texture or taste or purely the colour that I, and whatever top I'm wearing at the time, turn a gorgeous shade of whenever I attempt to prep it but in my 22 years I've not once enjoyed it!

That was, until mummy decided to add this little dish into her Indian repertoire when cooking a couple of months ago. She is the best cook so it was rude not to try, despite being adamant that I would hate it. All of the ingredients I love, apart from the dreaded beetroot of course, but those big lumps of purply red sure are off putting! So, you can imagine my absolute shock when I discovered that the dish was absolutely delicious!! I'm still certain that this is the only way to eat the stuff and for it to actually taste nice but if you're yet to be converted give this one ago and you may just have to alter your opinions. And if you are a beetroot fan then I have it on good advice that this is near the top of the list of how to eat the stuff! Tangy, spicy and covered in coconut milk, it really is delicious. 






Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp grated/finely chopped fresh root ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
A pack of pre cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
A tin of pure coconut milk
1/s tsp ground cardamon seeds
Grated rind and juice of 1 lime
Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
Sea salt and black pepper

One
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot, add the garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander seeds and chilli flakes. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the beetroot and fry, stirring gently for 1 minute before adding the coconut milk, cardamon and lime rind and juice. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes.

Two
Stir in the fresh coriander and season. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature…

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment