Tuesday 10 July 2012

EDITED BY LAURA BAILEY

I've always had a huge stylecrush on Laura Bailey, her new 'edited' collection for Topshop had made me like her evn more. Her interview (below) is well worth a read so I've reblogged it from topshop.com. Enjoy!

Model, writer, contributing editor to British Vogue, ambassador for both Chanel and the British Fashion Council, it’s safe to say that Laura Bailey is quite the expert when it comes to fashion.




Lucky for us, we managed to steal the blonde bombshell away from her busy schedule this week to guest edit our SS12 collections. The result? A true reflection of Laura’s inimitable British style: simple and sophisticated with a quirky vintage-looking twist.

IMG_6385r

Laura’s selection is available to shop online now, as well as in our 286 Regent Street space at our Oxford Circus London flagship. Time to get a little up, close and personal with the lady herself…

Hi Laura! How would you describe your trademark style?
I'm always attracted to the brave and the British: a high heel and a streak of eyeliner.

For a piece to be chosen as part of my EDIT
It simply needs to be something I LOVE and want to wear now.

My biggest influence right now is
I have many! Sixties starlets at Cannes, a sporty-chic beach vibe and the two Laurens, Bacall and Hutton! And Steve Hiett's 'Girls in the Grass' portraits, Sam Taylor-Wood's self-portraits and Tierney Gearon's photographs are just a few of my favourite visual inspirations.

My favourite vintage era is
The seventies, though I happily bounce between the forties and eighties too and occasionally all at once!

My earliest fashion memory is
May Day morning - seeing Oxford students in ball gowns on boats on the Cherwell as I biked to school in awe of their otherworldly glamour (along with the obligatory transforming of regulation school skirts into minis and competitive unpicking of the stripes on our ties with a compass…!) I also really loved my hockey strip and still feel inappropriately nostalgic for it when I'm buying shin pads and football studs for my son.

When I was growing up I wanted to dress like…
My step-sister and her friends who oozed a city glamour way beyond my village tomboy sensibility. When I first moved to London, anyone who looked vaguely like Debbie Harry edged me towards the piercing parlour plus a too-long flirtation with neon and black – and bleach!

My all time favourite designers are
Jonathan Saunders, Christopher Kane, Bella Freud, Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel and Sister by Sibling are my new style crush.

The wardrobe I’d most like to steal belongs to…
Amanda Harlech - for evening and Thandie Newton for everyday.

The one item of clothing I couldn’t live without…
A simple white vest to wear under everything in winter with my favourite cutoffs, an armful of bangles, over a bikini in the summer or just in bed.

My essential styling tips…
Something vintage in the mix, bare legs (even the palest) are nearly always the best option and I'm becoming dangerously attracted to REAL jewellery, especially by Solange Azagury-Partridge.

My top summer reads are…
'The Art of Fielding' by Chad Harbach, 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick DeWitt and 'The Baroness' by Hannah Rothschild. Forever favourites are Jeanette Winterson, Tolstoy, Thomas Hardy and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

This summer, I am most looking forward to…
A trip to St Tropez with family and friends.

IMG_6396r

Don't forget to check Topshop.com to see Laura's 'picks' for Edited!
---
And while you're waiting, here's a little musical inspiration courtesy of Miss Bailey's current playlist:
Nick Cave - Into My Arms
Stone Roses - Waterfall
Ryan Adams - La Cienega Just Smiled
Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman
Madonna - Like A Prayer
Sade - By Your Side
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Lily Allen - Smile
The Beloved - The Sun Rising
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Blondie - Atomic
Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody
Primal Scream - Cry Myself Blind
Karen Elson - Stolen Roses
Leona Naess - Calling
Kylie - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Joni Mitchell - California
The Cure - Catch
Pulp - Pencil Skirt or Babies
Lana Del Ray - Video Games
Rolling Stones - Stray Cat Blues
Blur – Tender
Everything But The Girl - Missing
George Michael - Faith
Patti Smith - Because The Night
Milla Jovovich - Electric Sky
Gossip - Perfect World
Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna
Ladyhawke - Black White and Blue
Supergrass - Alright
B2K - Bump Bump Bump
Beyonce - Halo
Bowie - Let's Dance
Eminem - Stan
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse
Kitty,Daisy and Lewis - Baby Don't You Know
La Roux - In For The Kill
Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away
Mary J Blige - No More Drama
Nico - Chelsea Girls
Nirvana - Come As You Are
Pharrell Williams feat Gwen Stefani - Can I Have It Like That?
Lianne la Havas - Age
Secret Sisters - I've Got A Feeling
The Streets - Fit But You Know It

REBLOGGED FROM:
http://insideout.topshop.com/blog/2012/06/edited-by-laura-bailey.html

No comments:

Post a Comment