Friday 15 February 2013

London Fashion Week #2

London Fashion Week started today and as I'm at uni, degree over taking my life (how is it that students always seem to have less time than when working a full time job; it makes no sense?!) and unable to attend at all, I've been busy reading all of the press surrounding it.

For me, two of the best things that I've seen featured are the #devilpaysnada campaign that is being endorsed by UK Fashion Intern (they're only advertising paid internships throughout fash week - see Twitter!) and the London Fashion Weekend articles on careers in the fashion industry.

I want to go into events or PR post degree. Fashion massively appeals but the amount of unpaid internships that you have to go through to get there is ridiculous so have chosen to focus my attentions on the lifestyle side of things, at least for the time being and until I have a lot more experience/ have had at least one job!!

This article was featured today on the LFWeekend website. Its always interesting to see the career paths that people take (Topshop are very good at it too, see blog post to follow!) and Piers Harrisson's reccomendations will be good for anyone looking to break the industry.

The article was initially featured here and there's a lot more on the website that may be of use!


how to get ahead in fashion part 2

In the second of our two-part feature, we talk to a Fashion Events Producer and a Fashion Photographer about their roles on either side of the catwalk.

Piers Harrisson is a project manager for fashion events company, Bacchus Studio. Piers and his team produce and manage some of the most creative catwalk shows at London Fashion Week and Vodafone London Fashion Weekend.

How?

I took a slightly circuitous route career wise to get to where I am now, but my events background rests largely in catering, across all types of projects. I spent some time working in India, and a good deal of time working as a chef. Food is a big passion of mine so I wanted to learn about it from a professional perspective. I ended up in fashion production after a brief stint in PR. The atmosphere of being on site at an event has always attracted me. The array of different people that you're brought into contact with as a result of being there is the best thing about it.

An average day?

One of the great things about the job is that no two days are the same. It could be anything from doing research for design ideas, to meeting with clients, sponsors, and stylists, working out a technical problem with a supplier, or writing a logistics schedule. Happily, my involvement in Vodafone London Fashion Weekend involves all of the above, so it keeps me on my toes!




No comments:

Post a Comment