This is good. Really really good. Moist, filling and (almost!!) healthy. Banana bread with a twist. A gooey nutella centre, good crust and it even looks pretty. Simple to make, not too many ingredients and perfect for afternoon snacking. The hardest part is waiting the hour that it takes to cook!
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment and pop to one side.
2. Begin by mixing the wet ingredients in a bowl. Mashed bananas are combined with the vegetable oil, lightly whisked eggs.
3. Next, mix the dry ingredients. Sieve the flour and mix in the sugar, baking powder and salt. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, being careful not to over mix.
4. Add half the mixture into the loaf tin. Meanwhile, pop half a cup of Nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften slightly. Add dollops (technical word) of the Nutella to the loaf tin and swirl into the mixture gently. I find a cocktail stick works well as it ensure the mixture doesn't split.
5. Add the remainder of the mixture to the loaf tin, mix the Nutella a little more (being careful that the Nutella doesn't sit on the top of the loaf or it may burn) and smooth the top to ensure the mix is evenly spread out in the tin for cooking.
6. Place in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 50 minutes - 1 hour, testing until the middle is cooked through.
7. When slightly cooler, remove from the tin and stand on a cake rack to cool fully. Store in an air tight tin (if it makes it that far!) and slice as you require so that the loaf doesn't dry out. Afternoon sugar cravings sorted!